Recently I read a Mormon article about “progressive revelation.” Throughout the day I kept thinking about this and then it occurred to me that Mormonism’s progressive revelation is not what it appears to be. In reality, it makes the God of the Bible out to be a liar. But Numbers 23:19a tells us, “God is not a man, that He should lie, nor a son of man, that He should change His mind.”
Progressive revelation can be likened to a rose. First you see the bud, and as time goes on and it begins to open up, you begin to see the beauty that was hidden inside. It was always there, but you couldn’t see it.
Following is a Scripture that tells us of the progressive revelation of God. Romans 16:25-27, “Now to Him who is able to establish you by my gospel and the proclamation of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery hidden for long ages past, but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God, so that all nations might believe and obey Him—to the only wise God be glory forever through Jesus Christ! Amen.”
We can see from these verses that the Gospel was contained in the prophetic writings but only revealed to us or opened up to us when God gave the command. I want to come back to this passage at the end of this post.
Now Mormonism’s progressive revelation does not reveal something more to us that is already contained in the Scriptures. Mormonism’s progressive revelation in reality contradicts what we read in God’s Word and makes the God of the Bible out to be a liar.
Let’s say I were to meet with you for a cup of coffee and some conversation. During the course of our conversation I relate to you that I have never had a drink in my life. Two weeks later we meet again for coffee. At that point I tell you I used to be an alcoholic. What I have just relayed to you makes my first statement to you a lie. That’s not progressive revelation.
But this is what Mormonism makes God out to be, a liar. What God has revealed to us in Scripture, they change completely. This is not progressive revelation. Following are some examples:
- Isaiah 43:10, “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and My servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe Me and understand that I am He. Before Me no God was formed, nor will there be one after me.”So we see from this verse that God clearly says He alone is God and will always be the only God.Joseph Fielding Smith said, "Our father in heaven, according to the Prophet, had a father, and since there has been a condition of this kind through all eternity, each Father had a Father" (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:47).And Joseph Smith, the first Mormon prophet said, “It is the first principle of the gospel to know for a certainty the character of God, ...and that He was once a man like us; yea, that God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ Himself did; ...you have got to learn how to be gods yourselves, and to be kings and priests to God, the same as all gods have done before you, namely, by going from one small degree to another,... from exaltation to exaltation, until you attain to the resurrection of the dead, and are able to dwell in everlasting burnings. and to sit in glory, as do those who sit enthroned in everlasting power" (History of the Church, Vol. 6, Ch. 14, p. 305-6).So we see that the God of the Bible said there are no gods before Him and there will be no gods after Him. But Mormonism by its teachings makes the God of the Bible out to be a liar by their teachings that there are gods before God and that we can become gods. This is not progressive revelation.
- Here’s what the God of the Bible tells us of how Jesus came to this earth.Isaiah 7:14, “Therefore the LORD Himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call Him Immanuel.”Matthew 1:20-23, But after he (Joseph) had considered this, and angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give Him the name Jesus, because He will save His people from their sins.” All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: “The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call Him Immanuel”—which means “God with us.”The God of the Bible clearly tells us that Jesus would be born of a virgin and that which was conceived in her was of the Holy Spirit. But following is what Mormonism teaches about how Jesus came to this earth:Brigham Young taught: "The birth of the Savior was as natural as are the births of our children; it was the result of natural action. He partook of flesh and blood---was begotten of his Father as we were of our fathers" (Journal of Discourses vol.8, p.115); and "when the Virgin Mary conceived the child Jesus, the Father had begotten him in his own likeness [flesh and blood]. He was not begotten by the Holy Ghost" (Journal of Discourses, vol.1, p.50).Bruce McConkie (LDS apostle) states: "Christ was begotten by an Immortal Father in the same way that mortal men are begotten by mortal fathers" (Mormon Doctrine, p. 547, 1979).Carfred Broderick (Mormon author) writes: "God is a procreating personage of flesh and bone...latter-day prophets have made it clear that despite what it says in Matthew 1:20, the Holy Ghost was not the father of Jesus...The Savior was fathered by a personage of flesh and bone" (Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought, Autumn, 1967, p.100-101).The God of the Bible tells us that what was conceived in Mary was of the Holy Spirit and that Mary was a virgin. Mormonism teaches God lied when He told us these things. That Mary conceived Jesus by having relations with God the Father and that what was conceived in her was not of the Holy Spirit. This is not progressive revelation. This makes the God of the Bible out to be a liar.
- Colossians 1:16-17, “For by Him (Jesus) all things were created; things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.”God tells us in this verse that Jesus created all things and is before all things. Yet Mormonism teaches that Jesus and Lucifer, a fallen angel, are brothers:Milton R. Hunter (one of the LDS General Authorities) explains "The appointment of Jesus to be Savior of the world was contested by one of the other sons of God. He was called Lucifer…this spirit-brother of Jesus desperately tried to become the Savior of mankind" (The Gospel Through the Ages, p.15, 1945)."And Satan came among them, saying: I am also a son of God" (Pearl of Great Price, Moses 5:17).The God of the Bible tells us that Jesus created all things (which would include Lucifer). But Mormonism would teach us that the God of the Bible lied to us and that in reality Lucifer is Jesus’ brother.
- Isaiah 43:11, “I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from Me there is no savior.”John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”Acts 4:12, “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved."Pretty clear. The God of the Bible tells us there is NO savior apart from Him.But Mormonism tells us this:Brigham Young taught: "Sin is upon every earth that ever was created ... Consequently every earth has its redeemer, and every earth has its tempter" (Journal of Discourses, vol. 14, p.71).Bringham Young said, "From the day that the priesthood was taken from the earth to the winding up things of all things, every man and woman must have the certificate of Joseph Smith, junior, as a passport to their entrance into the mansion where God and Christ are -- I with you and you with me. I cannot go there without his consent" (Journal of Discourses 7:238).The God of the Bible tells us He is the only Savior and that the only Name given by which a person can be saved is the Name of Jesus. Yet Mormonism would make God out to be a liar by saying there are many saviors and for this world you must be saved by the certificate of Joseph Smith.There are many more instances where Mormon teachings are proven to not be progressive revelation, but in reality makes the God of the Scriptures out to be a liar. It’s important to know the difference. I would like to quote the verse I quoted earlier in this post: Romans 16:25-27, “Now to Him who is able to establish you by my gospel and the proclamation of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery hidden for long ages past, but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God, so that all nations might believe and obey Him—to the only wise God be glory forever through Jesus Christ! Amen.”
- I would like to make one more point. God has revealed His gospel to us through the prophetic writings (the Bible). The Gospel means “Good News.” Mormonism would teach that the God of the Bible lied when He said salvation from judgment was by grace alone through faith by saying that salvation from judgment is by works. Read the following link and see whom you will believe: The God of the Bible, or Mormonism that makes the God of the Bible look like a liar: